Abbotsford BMX SX Hill Information
About the SX Hill
Our hill is the same hill as used at BMX World Cups and Olympic Games. It stands 8m tall and 10m wide. The riding surface starts out with an 18-degree slope, dropping to a 28-degree slope. The area where the slope changes, is called the “kink”, the curve at the bottom is called the transition. This leads into the first jump, which is over 11m in length.
All athletes using the SX Hill will be required to fill out and sign a waiver. Athletes under the age of 18 are required to have a parent sign the waiver. It is very important that athletes and parents understand the increased risk of injury caused by the increased speeds from using the SX Hill. There will also be a $25 per day usage fee, with Canadian athletes having the option of paying $50 to have it cover use until the end of 2013.
Our goal is to provide access to as many athletes as possible in the safest manner. We will have an age restriction for usage of the hill set at 14 years of age or older. We will provide access to athletes under the age of 14 with the permission and presence of an approved Provincial/National Coach. We want to provide access to exceptional under aged athletes, however, safety is a major concern for us and we want them to experience the Hill in the safest possible manner.
We also want to promote the safety of everyone involved. To do so, we feel that the top of the SX Hill should be reserved for athletes and their respective coaches, or approved volunteers. We don’t want this to be a gathering point for people to sit and watch from.
All athletes using the SX Hill must have full BMX safety gear (gloves, long sleeve top, full face helmet, long pants or shorts with knee/shin protection) It is recommended that athletes wear knee and elbow protection.
All athletes under the age of 18 MUST wear knee and elbow protection.
All athletes MUST have a current UCI license to us the SX Hill – and be able to produce it with each use.
When will the Hill be open?
- Monday gate practice 6-8pm (mixed practice) and Regular District Race Days
- Watch the “Abbotsford BMX Supercross” Facebook page for other times that the hill will be open
The hill will be closed in any unsafe weather conditions – this includes: Rain or Winds over 20km/h
Are you ready for the SX Hill?
- Can you jump the second straight, all 3 in a row?
- Do you feel comfortable in the air when jumping?
- How well do your brakes work? Can you skid?
- Do you feel comfortable going at speeds of 50+ km/h on your bike?
Abbotsford BMX reserves the right to refuse and revoke any athletes that:
- Intend to use the SX Hill in an unsafe manner
- Haven’t proved to have the skills necessary to use the hill
- Cause unsafe conditions for other athletes
- Are in a condition that may cause increased injury to themselves or other athletes.